Wednesday 18 July 2007

Peanut Butter Slice

You'll always get my attention if you mention peanut butter! I love it on toast with lashings of butter and an icy cold glass of milk; and I love it even more in a cake, slice, friand, muffin, ball, truffle..... you get the idea!

So when I found this recipe online I couldn't resist making it! The top layer of peanut butter, condensed milk and golden syrup tasted almost too good to put on a slice! All I needed was a big spoon and about ten minutes and I'd be happier than a pig in... well, peanut butter!

The top pastry layer ends up very biscuity and crunchy while the inside is pure bliss...

1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
375g jar Crunchy Peanut Butter
2 cups plain flour
2 Tbsp golden syrup
200g softened butter
1 cup sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Beat the butter and sugar together until the mixture is pale in colour and light in texture.

Add the egg and beat well.
Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix to form a soft dough.
Press 3/4's of the dough onto the base of a baking paper-lined 20cm x 30cm slice tin.
In a saucepan warm the condensed milk and golden syrup. Stir in the Peanut Butter. Spread evenly over the base of the slice.
Dot the remaining dough over the top of the peanut layer.
Bake at 180C for 30-35 minutes until the slice is golden.
Cool in the tin before cutting into slices to serve. Keep in an airtight container.
E.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

These sound amazing! I don't think I've ever seen golden syrup here before, so I just looked it up online and it says it has a taste like honey but can be substituted with corn syrup. Would it be better to sub with honey or corn syrup in your opinion?

Anonymous said...

Its a mollases type syrup. Like a treacle. If you can get hold of treacle... Ive never heard of corn syrup... Try for a mollases before you use honey! Happy cooking

Chris said...

Sounds delicious! Peanut lovers beware! :) I was going to ask about Golden Syrup as well - is it like Dark Corn Syrup?