Thursday, 26 July 2007

Mrs Sigg's Snickerdoodles

I found this recipe on a fellow bloggers page, described as Quite Possibly the Best Cookies I Have Ever Made! and so they had me from hello...
I had never heard of Snickerdoodles, but since browsing other blogs, everyone seems to be making them! They must be very American..

So I made these lovely cookies and I found that they needed much longer than the 8-10 mins instructed in the recipe... Mine were still goop after 10 mins, so in the end they were in for almost half an hour.... Please enlighten me as to what I have done wrong if anyone can...

In the end they turned out fine.... I think..... They dont look anything like the Snickerdoodles on anyone elses blog, mine seem more rounded, less cracked and definately a darker colour cinnamon... And as I'm on this darn low carb diet, I am unable to try them. So I asked my boyfriend, my boss and my best mate in Queensland (sent her a little surprise package express post!). And the reviews were fantastic. Catherine used the word PERFECT! So I guess I'll be doing them again when I'm off this diet and seeing for myself...

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C).
Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.

Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.


Deborah said...

I'm glad to see that others (too bad it's not you!) enjoyed these cookies! My husband ate so many of them - I can't make them very often or he will end up gaining tons of weight!!

I'm not sure what happened on the cooking time - it might just be a difference in ovens?? Mine were only in for 8 minutes, so I'm sure what the problem was....

Chris said...

I love snickerdoodles! I haven't made them in ions...hmmm....I think it may be time again. These look great!