Thursday 26 July 2007

$250 Cookies

I received this recipe via email, as a lot of you did, I’m sure.

It’s a long winded story, but it’s a funny one, if it’s true. Basically, a die-hard Nieman-Marcus store lover had these cookies in their café in Dallas. She was told the recipe was available to buy for ‘two fifty –a great deal’. So this person bought it and turns out the recipe cost two-hundred and fifty dollars so they circulated the recipe as revenge.

Baking isn’t really my forte, although I do enjoy it and always give it a go. Cookies, however, are different. They intimidate me. I honestly don’t think I’ve made cookies since I was a teenager, so 10 years at least.

But this recipe convinced me for some reason, and oh my lordy, were they worth it! My nick-name at the office is now Ms Fields, I gave a box to some friends and they scoffed them all in about 15 minutes and Tony’s workmates also raved that it’s my best contribution so far.
So here you go. This is the recipe I was emailed, but I halved it and made 50 large-ish cookies. You could probably even halve it again, however, I got rid of 50, very, very easily!

1 cup butter
340g chocolate chips
2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp Bicarb soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup sugar
250g Cadbury chocolate, grated
2 ½ cups oatmeal, blended
2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (375F).

Blend the oatmeal in a blender to a fine powder.

Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla.

Add the flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and bicarb and mix thoroughly.

Add chocolate chips, grated chocolate (I used the blender to grate the chocolate) and nuts.

Roll into similar size balls, and place two inches apart on a baking tray.

Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool on trays for a few minutes and serve.

S

No comments: