Tuesday 17 July 2007

French Onion Chops

My mother in law cooked these for me years ago and I was blown away at how yummy they are! My first attempt at cooking them, about one week after she did, was a complete failure as I forgot to cover them with alfoil! Tonight I wasnt going to make that same mistake!

According to my mum, this dish was huge in the 1960's....?
I am not a fan of french onion soup at all! But I do love the flavour of the packet soup mix! Whether it is through a potato bake or on these delightful chops, it adds so much flavour! The chops end up so tender, its as if you've been cooking them for hours! Melt in your mouth goodness!

4 fourquarter premium chops
2 packets French Onion Soup mix
Olive oil spray
Your favourite veg to serve

Cover the bottom of a baking tray with alfoil. Spray with olive oil. Sprinkle a packet of French Onion Soup mix over the bottom of the tray and place the chops on top. Sprinkle the top of the chops with the other packet of soup mix. Cover the tray with alfoil making a "tent" for the chops. Leave room for the steam to circulate. Place in the oven for an hour and a half. Serve with your favourite veg.

E.

4 comments:

Deborah said...

What a simple recipe! It sounds wonderful.

Anonymous said...

This sounds simple and yummy! I have an aunt in Spain who does something similar with chicken and sopa de cebolla packet mix :)

Chris said...

I love using onion soup mix in recipes. But, I have a silly question - what kind of chops are those. I was thinking they looked like lamb? Pork?

Anonymous said...

Its Lamb! Packet soup mixes in cooking is fantastic! So inexpensive and yummy and flavoursome!