Wednesday 13 June 2007

Thai Green Curry


Somehow I had too much coriander in my fridge this weekend.

As I was walking to the shops I decided I'd make Thai Green curry paste to use it up.
Unfortunately, I couldn't remember the ingredients off the top of my head, so I went into the bookstore and scurried around trying to find a recipe while Tony looked at me strangely. Having finally one I aprroved of, I made him list off the ingredients and measurements while I scribbled it in my little book (hence, above, it says vege cup, its meant to be vegetable oil).

I must have been having one of my bimbo days as I realised as I was waiting to pay for my items that we were going to a party that night, and I wouldn't in fact be needing to make dinner.

Whilst straightening my hair and applying make up I whizzed up the paste to make life easier for me when I got home from work last night.

Liz and I discovered the monstrosity of coconut milk so I used lite, coconut flavoured evaporated milk instead, which worked really well considering the difference in fat.
I made extra curry paste so I could use it in the future, but the curry ingredients are enough for 3 serves + rice.

So here's what you need:
For the paste:
3 lemongrass stalks, bruised and roughly chopped
1 large piece of peeled ginger
10 green chillies, with tops off
1 tbsp pepper
2 bunches of coriander, stalks and all
2 tbs shrimp paste
10 lime leaves
1 large onion
10 garlic cloves
piece of lime rind
The rest:
4 skinless chicken thighs, chopped
2 tbs vegetable oil
3 potatoes, cut into large chunks
1 tin of sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and drained
2 tbs fish sauce
handful of green beans
1 tin of evaporated milk or coconut milk
fresh coriander to serve (optional)
Greek yogurt to serve (optional)

Put all paste ingredients in a food processor and blend till thick paste. Add a little vegetable oil too loosen if necessary.



Heat oil in large pot. Fry 2 tablespoons of Thai Green Curry Paste in oil till becomes fragrant.

Add chicken and seal. Add potatoes and fry quickly with chicken so they are coated with the paste.
Add the tin of milk, fish sauce and water chestnuts. Bring to the boil and then turn down heat to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Serve with rice, yogurt and coriander as desired.



S

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI
just like to say that..
this looks like dead roadkill that has had all its fur picked off!

looks ferral!