Tuesday 5 June 2007

Chicken, Chickpea & Apricot Tagine


Unfortunatley I was so keen to serve and eat that this photo is as close as I have to the final product! The left overs....

If i cook it again, and I KNOW I will, I'll be sure to update this blog and show the final product... But you get the idea! Fabulous Winter Meal!

I have cooked this dish twice and both times has been a raging success. I actually discovered it when our wonderful girlfriend Laura cooked it for me. She had purchased a Tagine and prepared this very dish. The next morning I ordered my Tagine! Although I have discovered a tagine isnt necessarily necessary for this recipe, a croc pot or large pot with a lid is fine!

I added zucchini and carrot to the original recipe. I found with the tagine that it becomes far too full to fit in all the chickpeas, the carrot AND the zucchini so I added as much of each as I could! So see how you go, if you use a crock pot or a large pot you should be fine!

6 skinless chicken breasts, chopped into large chunks
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 large onions, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
1-2tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
inch fresh gingerroot, finely chopped
180g dried apricots

2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tins chopped tomato
2 cans chick peas, drained
3 tablespoons honey
300ml chicken stock
1 pinch saffron

1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 zucchini, sliced
4 teaspoons ras el hanout spice mix (whcih can be purchased from the Mistress of Spice Website for $6.50!!) (or make up spice mix below)
1 teaspoon
ground coriander (Cilantro)
1 teaspoon
ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon
ground cumin
1 teaspoon
cayenne pepper (optional)
salt and black pepper
chopped
fresh coriander, to serve (Cilantro)

Heat up olive oil in a frying pan/tagine & saute chopped onions & garlic for 5-10 minutes.

Add chicken stock & gradually mix in flour or cornflour until well mixed & not lumpy.Add honey & tomato paste & mix well.

Add herbs,spices & finely chopped ginger with salt & pepper to taste.

Finally add tinned tomatoes & mix well.

Add chicken & chickpeas & mix well.

Add dried apricots making sure they are covered by juice. (Add the carrots and zucchini if using.).

Give it a gentle but good stir to mix everything together well.


If using a tagine, put lid on and place in oven at 160 degrees and cook for a good 2 to three hours. If using a crock pot or large pot, cover with lid/alfoil and simmer for a good 2 to 3 hours.


CORIANDER YOGHURT
5 tablespoons greek yoghurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
The juice of one lemon
Salt & Pepper
Mix together and serve along side the meal.

PAPRIKA TURKISH BREAD
Turkish bread
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons powdered paprika
Cut turkish bread into approx 5cm by 2cm slithers.
Toast the underside under a grill.
Take out and turn over and brush with the paprika mixed with the olive oil using a pastry brush. Toast.
Serve with the meal.

DIVINE!

E.

No comments: