Monday 10 March 2008

Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Cannellini Beans



This pick may look simple and not at all exciting, but I tell you what, that pot of dinner up there was oh so good! Adam, The Amateur Gourmet also raved about it as one of his favourites, Lydia Bastiniach recipes. I hadn't tried anything from his site before, and thought this recipe looked simple and right up my alley so I made it a few days later. Half way through making it I wondered how good it could really be, but once I stuck my spoon in the bowl, scooped some out and out it in my mouth my tastebuds were satisfied. Actually, better than satisfied, they were mighty happy! Tony claims its one of the best pastas I've made, but I think we've all heard that before! To be honest, these broad comments haven't been coming as thick and fast lately, so that does mean he really enjoyed. Give it a go, you won't regret it.

500g macaroni
2 large garlic cloves, sliced
1 cup of sun-dried tomatoes in oil, roughly chopped (keep the oil)
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (I assume that's chilli flakes? That's what I used)
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 tsp salt
1 handful fresh parsely, chopped
fresh pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese


Bring a large oan of water to the boil and cook pasta according the the instructions.

Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the oil from the sun-dried tomato jar to a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or so. Next, add the chilli flakes and toast for another 1/2 minute.

Then add 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes and spread them out, let them sizzle, toast for a minute. After a minute, ladle in 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, keep it simmering, until the liquid reduces by half.

Finally, stir in the cannellini beans, 1/4 tsp salt and approx 1 and 1/2 cups more pasta cooking water. Bring it to a boil, stir together, and cook "at an active simmer" for 4 minutes.

When the pasta is done, drain and add it to the pan with the tomatoes etc. Add the parsley, then off the heat add about 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and a final tablespoon of olive oil and fresh pepper before serving.

S

1 comment:

Deborah said...

It does sound so simple, yet so tasty!