Tuesday 25 March 2008

Apple Pandowdy



Here’s another dish we whipped up while I was home in Adelaide. I don’t know where I found this, it was in my emails. I’ve never heard of a Pandowdy but basically it’s like a cobbler, yummy spiced apples with a cake topping. It looks pretty boring when it comes out of the oven, but it’s delicious! Everyone was very excited and there were no leftovers. That plus a few more compliments the next day means it’s a winner! I served this with ice-cream which worked perfectly. You could try this with any fruit really. I’d like to try it with some raspberries next time, mmm.

900g golden delicious apples
2 tbs golden syrup
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
175g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
115g sugar
115g unsalted butter, melted
150ml milk


Peel, quarter and core the apples, then thinly slice them into a bowl. Add the syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg, and toss gently to coat the apple slices evenly.

Spoon the mixture into a buttered 1-litre ovenproof, deep-sided dish. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl and stir in the sugar.

Make a well in the centre and add the melted butter and the milk. Stir to make a smooth batter, then spread it evenly over the apple slices.

Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 40-45 minutes or until the sponge topping has risen and is browned.

Serve from the baking dish or invert into a serving dish. It is, of course, highly improved with cream in generous dollops.

S

4 comments:

Deborah said...

Sometimes the ones that look boring are the most delicious. It sounds wonderful!

Renee said...

Pandowdy? Never heard of it either. I'm always on the lookout for easy desserts to make with fresh fruit. Yours looks delicious!

Chou said...

I agree with Deborah--just because your dessert is a plain Jane doesn't ever mean she doesn't have the most exciting flavors hidden inside . . . :) I think this would be a great dutch oven recipe for camping.

Di said...

Last night I made the Egg Plant Curry and followed it up with a dessert of 'Apple Pandowdy' nothing but the empty dish left!

I recommend this recipe as a great Winter (well Autumn at the moment) dessert for the family.