Saturday 2 February 2008

Sweet Chilli Sausage Rolls

We celebrated Australia Day here last weekend, which is always a lot of fun. I was embarrassed when an American informed me (and 2 trusted Aussies agreed) its to celebrate Captain Cook first arriving in Australia. Google tells me this is not the case however, and its to commemorate the establishment of the first European settlement in Australia. Ha!

Something I find rather Australian is sausage rolls. They're Tony's favourites and when I saw this recipe in the newspaper I noticed just how easy they are to make. We were off to visit some dear friends and their gorgeous new baby girl, so I had the perfect reason to make them and bring them along. I cant imagine its easy to try and get food together with a newborn in tow! Of course, I couldn't go the traditional route, thought I'd try something different with the addition of sweet chill sauce. You couldn't taste the sweet chilli, I guess it add moisture though. They didn't last long, which means they worked well!

2 tsp vege oil
1 onion, grated
1 carrot, grated
500g pork mince
3/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg, separated
salt & pepper
4 sheets of puff pastry, cut in half
Sesame seeds
Your sauce of preference to serve (sweet chilli/tomato)

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add to grated onion and carrot and gently fry for 5 minutes till soft and golden. Allow to cool.

Mix the mince, sweet chilli, breadcrumbs, egg white, fried onion and carrot and salt & pepper.
Put approx 1/2 cup of this mix on each piece of puff pastry and roll up to enclose the filling, sealing the edges with a brush of the egg yolk.

Put the rolls on a tray lined with baking paper and brush the tops with the egg yolks and a sprinkling of sesame seeds if desired.

Bake for 30 minute till nice and gold. Cut into pieces (3 or 4) and serve with sauce.

S

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Maybe I need to celebrate a late Australia day here so I can make these...