Monday 4 February 2008

Cheese Please!


You. Must. Try. This.

I'm sure I've probably said this before, and I suspect I shall say it again, but, this little dish I tried out on the weekend is sensational.

Matt over at Matt Bites, raved and ranted about it recently on his site and I had an inkling it would be right up my alley.

Its not expensive (I'm broke and used the cheapest Feta cheese I could find at the supermarket $2.50 or something) it takes 10 minutes and the flavour? Oh, heaven! Its soft and sweet and salty and I could go on and on.

Just try it, ok?

Here's Matts recipe, the way I did it:

1 x 250g slab Greek feta, blotted dry
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
Freshly ground black pepper
Pita bread, toasted and cut into wedges
Tomatoes, nuts or pickled vegetables (optional)


Preheat the oven to 200C.

Select a small oven-to-table earthenware dish or a small ovenproof sauté pan lined with aluminum foil to help transfer the cheese to a plate after roasting. Place the feta in the dish and cover with the olive oil. Bake until the cheese is soft and springy to the touch but not melted, about 8 minutes.

Preheat the grill and drizzle with honey. Grill until the top of the cheese browns and just starts to bubble. Season to taste with black pepper. Serve immediately with pita wedges and, if desired, sliced tomatoes, nuts or pickled vegetables.

Serves 4 to 6. Adapted from Sara Dickerman.

S

1 comment:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

THis does sound good :D We are able to find kefaloteri or saganaki cheese here which would add a different dimension :D I will have to try it with feta :D Way to go girls...I am enjoying my visit!!