Friday 8 February 2008

Chunky Chocolate Mudcake

Now, here is a nice and easy deliciously rich, dense and moist chocolate cake. I used this as a dessert for a dinner party served with blueberries and strawberries, dessert wine and espressos. Perfect!

The recipe needs 300g of dark chocolate, but I only had 200 grams. The recipe says to melt 200g for the batter and sprinkle the further 100g at the end, so I just used white chocolate for the last 100grams. At the time of making it I was disappointed with myself I hadn’t taken care to have the right ingredients but in the end it worked out great as it looked and tasted special.

200g butter, chopped
300g dark chocolate
¼ cup hot water
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup caster sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
¾ cup self-raising flour
icing sugar, to serve

Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a deep cake pan and line with baking paper.

Start by melting the butter, 200g of the chopped chocolate and hot water together gently until smooth. To this add the cocoa and stir. Stir in vanilla, caster sugar and eggs.

Add the sifted flour to the chocolate mixture and stir gently.

Pour half the batter into cake pan and sprinkle half the remaining chopped chocolate over batter.
Top with rest of the batter and finish with the last of the chopped chocolate.

Bake cake for 55 - 60 minutes (until a skewer inserted into the centre has moist crumbs clinging).

Allow cake to cool completely in pan. Serve dusted with icing sugar and mixed berries.
S

4 comments:

meli said...

mmmmmm... i think this post entered my subconscious and i had to make chocolate pudding on the weekend, eating most of it myself!

Deborah said...

Beautiful cake!! It sounds divine!

Angel said...

My goodness your cake looks decadent. So rich and chocolaty I'm sure it was a big hit. Magnificent!

kate said...

holy crap, those look good.
: )

---------
kate
join the cookie carnival!
http://www.bubbleandsqueak.biz/cleanplateclub/2008/02/join-carnival.html