Thursday 4 October 2007

Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Strawberry frosting

a
In the back of my mind is a recipe I would like to attempt soon. This recipe needs a vanilla bean. I struggled to find a vanilla bean this past weekend, but as usual as I gave up I came across them, but could only buy a pack of 5. What to do with the rest of the beans… I know, what a luxury to have excess vanilla beans! Cupcakes of course, soft, girly pink cupcakes, with the gorgeous comforting taste of real vanilla.

2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, cut length-wise
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp salt
2 tsps baking powder
Frosting:
2 cups icing sugar
3 large tbsp of strawberry jam
Drop of pink food colouring
3 tbsp of butter


In a small saucepan, heat the milk and vanilla bean together until the milk just boils. Remove from heat and let cool for about 1 hour. Next, remove the vanilla bean. Scrape out the seeds from the vanilla bean and return them to the milk. Discard the remaining bean pod.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C.

Combine the salt, flour and baking powder.

In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well.
Add the flour and milk mixture bit by bit until well combined.

Divide batter into about 20 pattypans.

Bake 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

To make the frosting, put all ingredients in the food processor and whiz till combined. Add a little warm water if its too thick. Swirl onto cupcakes and serve.

Note: I brought a few into work and thought you might like my view on this gorgeous day over looking the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

S

6 comments:

slush said...

Beautiful! I really do think the most appealing frosting color is pink. Something about it just calls out EAT ME! haha

(You should send these in for Boobie Bake Off)

surya barelds said...

show off! we all know you have an awesome view... haha.

meli said...

oh my goodness, what a view! (and the cakes look good too. i've been baking banana cake, also yum)

Deborah said...

I am so jealous of your view!! I love vanilla beans, but don't use them often because they are so expensive. These cupcakes sound like they might be worth the cost, though!!

Anonymous said...

That looks great! The cakes I mean ;)) Looking forward to what you might cook next weekend ... daddo x

steph- whisk/spoon said...

those cupcakes sound seriously good! and i love the girly pink--just my kind of thing!