Monday 8 October 2007

Palak Paneer

Curry fest was on at my place this weekend in celebration of my sister coming up to see us.

Palak Paneer, also known as Sag Paneer is an old favourite in our family, and is always ordered when we go out for Indian. Until recently, I’d never tried to make it. The problem now is, that I have found the perfect recipe and its far too easy and way, way too tasty.

Paneer is very mild Indian cheese, which can now be bought at the supermarket. Its soft, with not a lot of flavour, similar to ricotta if I had to compare it to something. The combination of the cheese with the spiced, creamy spinach are a match made in heaven if you ask me, or anyone else in my family. There was no leftovers, so I think everyone agreed.

400 grams paneer, cut into small cubes
vegetable oil
800 grams spinach, well washed and drained
ghee
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon chilli powder
Salt
100 mls cream

Fry the paneer in a little oil until golden and then set aside.

Stir-fry the spinach with a knob of ghee and then puree.

Fry the cumin seeds in 100 grams of ghee until they crackle and then stir in the chopped garlic and sauté.

Add the coriander, chilli powder and spinach puree, season with salt, and stir-fry for 4 minutes.

Add the paneer and simmer gently to heat through, and then stir in the cream.

S

No comments: