Monday 15 October 2007

Neil Perry’s Lemon and Yogurt Cake

a



A friend, whom I highly regard in the kitchen sent me this recipe and said I must try it.

My parents came over to spend the weekend with us so I thought it was a good chance to try it out.

I’m not sure if the end result was as it was meant to be, as I had nothing to compare it with. I think maybe it should have risen more. It had an airy cheesecake texture, it wasn’t too sweet and had a gorgeous subtle lemon flavour which went perfectly with the vanilla infused strawberries and cream. It was nice to taste and try something different from my usual baking.

4 eggs, separated
155 g caster sugar
3 tablespoons flour
400 grams Greek-style yoghurt
2 lemons
icing sugar
whipped cream
2 punnets strawberries, sliced
1 vanilla bean


Preheat the oven to 180 C and butter and line a 22 cm spring-form pan with paper.

Beat the yolks with 100 grams caster sugar until thick and pale.

Beat in the flour, and then the yoghurt, half the lemon zest, and half the lemon juice until thoroughly blended.

Beat the egg whites until stiff, fold them into the yogurt mixture, pour into the prepared pan and back for 25 minutes.

After 25 minutes cover with foil and bake for another 25 – 35 minutes before cooling on a rack, and sliding off the paper.

Mix together the strawberries, 55 grams caster sugar, the remaining lemon juice and zest, and the seeds and bean of the vanilla, and allow it to soak and sit for several hours.

Dust the cake with icing sugar and serve in wedges with the fruits and whipped cream.

S

No comments: