Sunday 11 May 2008

Lemon, Pea & Proscuitto Risotto



I'm back, sorry I've taken so long, as some of you may know I've just moved from Sydney on the Eastern border of Australia to Adelaide in South Australia. It was wonderful, I bought a new car just before we left and we drove to Melbourne and had a wonderful night night of Tapas and Sangria, and then took the Great Ocean Road stopping overnight in Lorne, on the river at Pt Fairy, Mt Gambier, the famous Australian wine region - the Coonawarra and then arrived in Adelaide.

Just before we left Sydney, I made this wonderful risotto for our friends Stacy & Will from the Delicious magazine (Australian gourmet food magazine). I love risotto, I love proscuitto and lemon is a known favourite, so I was pretty sure this would be a hit. You'll be happy to know it was! This is going to be my go to risotto recipe, it was fantastic. You should try it and let me know what you think.

70 grams unsalted butter
2 large leeks (pale part only), thinly sliced (I used 2 onions, as I didn't have leeks)
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups (330g) arborio rice
1.5 litres (6 cups) chicken stock, kept at a simmer
2 tsp olive oil
70 grams sliced proscuitto, cut into strips (I doubled this to 150g as the boys love it)
1 1/2 cups (180g) frozen peas
2 tbs parsley, finely chopped
zest of 1 lemon
1 - 2 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs cream or 20g butter (I used butter)
2/3 cup (50g) parmesan, freshly grated, + shaved parmesan to serve


Melt the butter in a large deep pain over medium heat. Add the leek (or onions) and garlic and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring until soft.

Add the rice and stir to coat the grains for 1 - 2 minutes.

Add the stock, ladleful at a time, stir thoroughly allowing each addition to absorb before adding the next ladleful. Continue for 20 minutes or till the rice is cooked but still firm to bite. (I didn't need all the stock, I think I used about 4.5 - 5 cups, but it depends on the rice).

At the same time, heat the oil in another pan over medium heat, fry the proscuitto and cook for 2 minutes when it starts to get crispy, add the peas and toss until the peas are warm. Set aside and keep warm, by covering the pan.

When the risotto is ready, turn off the heat and add the parsley, lemon juice and zest and cream or butter and 2/3's of the pea mixture and stir. Season to your liking and serve with the remaining pea mixture on top with the shaved parmesan.

S

1 comment:

Deborah said...

This has my mouth watering right now!