Thursday 6 September 2007

Hazelnut, lemon and garlic mushrooms

On Saturday we went to the famous Sydney Grower’s markets at Pyrmont. I had wanted to go for so long but somehow hadn’t managed. Life sure does get in the way sometimes. Anyhow it was all I had hoped and more. Which is surprising seeing as my hometown, Adelaide has the best and biggest food markets in the Southern Hemisphere, the Central Markets and I lived for a year just down the road from the largest produce markets in Amsterdam, Albert Kuip Markets.

A trusted foodie, mentioned several things I must buy while at the Pyrmont Markets and one of them was mushrooms. We were there at 7.30am and seemed to run into the mushroom stall as we arrived and I bought what seemed to be the last. I also bought the most wonderful soft tasty ricotta from the bustling Ocello stall.

Many people hate mushrooms, which I understand, they do have a funny texture, but I adore them and I think I have to say this is by far, the best way I have ever had/prepared them.

The rind of 1 lemon
1 tsp chilli flakes
2 large ripe tomatoes
600g assorted mushrooms
2 tbsp white wine
100 g fresh, good quality ricotta
100g butter
50 g roasted hazelnuts
4 cloves of garlic
Basil (optional)


Clean the mushrooms (without water as they are porous and become slimy, a damp cloth works well) and cut into desired pieces.

Thoroughly mix the chilli, lemon rind and salt and pepper, and set aside.

Puree the 2 tomatoes and put into a small pan on the stove. Bring to the boil and push through a sieve. Discard the pulp and put the tomato essence on the stove for a few minutes and reduce over a medium heat to approx. 30-60ml. (I guess you could probably use tomato juice instead, it’d be much easier)

Melt the butter and process the garlic and hazelnuts and add to the butter(I added some finely shredded basil leaves but its optional).

Add a glug of olive oil to the hot butter mixture and fry the mushrooms for about 5 minutes. Add the tomato reduction, white wine and season. Fry for a few more minutes.

Serve with ricotta and fresh bread.

S

2 comments:

Warda said...

It sounds so wonderful with the hazelnuts, the lemon rinds and the heat from the chilli. WAOUUUU! That must have been a feast

The Baker & The Curry Maker said...

Yes, it was the perfect combination, I wish I could have managed a tastier photo.