Monday 20 August 2007

Spinach and Feta Gozleme

I was introduced to these yummy treats at the Glebe Point Markets in Sydney when I first moved to Sydney by Kate, and now every time I go, I can’t help myself.

So when I came across the recipe for spinach and feta Gozleme’s and then found another recipe for the spicy mince filling the market operators add I was on a mission to make them. Now, I admit, they’re not as good as the Turkish ladies at the market, and I am, of course, much slower, but I think if I had as much practice as them, I could give them a run for their money.
They are salty, spicy, sour and crispy. Mmm.

3 cups flour
8g sachet instant dried yeast
pinch of salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1/3 cup olive oil
1 bunch English spinach
200g feta cheese, crumbled
lemon wedges, to serve

In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, salt and sugar.

Add 300ml warm water and olive oil and stir with a fork until the liquid has taken up all the flour.

Knead the dough for 5 minutes until it becomes elastic.

Place back into the bowl and cover with plastic film.

Stand in a warm place and allow the dough to prove for an hour or until the dough has doubled in size.

Minced Meat Filling (optional)
350g minced beef/lamb
2 cloves minced garlic
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp paprika
1 red chilli, chopped
1 medium carrot grated
½ cup of tinned tomatoes
olive oil for frying

At the markets you have the choice of with or without a spicy meat layer. If you want to add this - pan fry the mince in a little oil until browned, add all the other ingredients and continue cooking until the carrot has softened. Finally add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.Once the dough has risen, cut the ball into 4 portions. Keep the dough you aren’t using under cover or it will dry out.

Roll each piece of dough out into a circle the size of a large dinner plate.

Place a quarter of the spinach, then the mince mixture (of using), over half of the circle spreading to the edges and then top with feta.

Fold the dough over and enclose the filling by pinching the edges together.

Preheat a flat hotplate, or a large frypan on medium-high heat.

Fry Gozleme with a little oil on both sides til golden brown and crispy. This should only take a few minutes.

Remove and cut the Gozleme into 6 pieces and serve with lemon wedges.

S

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to stop by and say hello :)
These look yummy. I'm going to try them.I like what you 2 are doing. It's a nice way to keep in touch.